Going through this experience, I've learned quite a few things about myself and relationships.
#1. I bend over and let MY opinions and hobbies die, while taking on the opinions and hobbies of my significant other. I let myself roll over and get controlled like that. Well I USED to. I'm getting better at standing up for myself and standing up for all of those qualities that make me who I am. No more adopting beliefs and hobbies unless I really REALLY enjoy them.
#2. Love is patience, kindness, honesty, laughs, and companionship.
#3. I don't trust myself. I knew after dating him for just three months that he and I wouldn't work out in the end. Deep down I knew. But I pushed that aside and gave us more of a chance. I honestly knew it, I remember having a conversation to my friends about it. Why didn't I trust my gut instinct? I'm working on trusting myself more.
#4. The people important in my life are smart and give good advice. I never listened to it, I'd just brush it aside. I thought that I had burned many bridges with my friends because of my actions however I'm finding that they were just waiting for me to pull my head out and have welcomed me back with open arms. I need to trust their opinions more!
#5. I have learned patience! In some aspects I still have none, however I've learned to let things go, be patient, and just worry about what really matters.
#6. I've been learning what it takes to have a SUCCESSFUL relationship. Well I guess learning what it takes to have an UNHEALTHY relationship-- but that just reiterates to me what a success is comprised of.
#7. All of my friends are happily married, so if they found someone why in the heck can't I?
#8. I've got to do things for myself sometimes. It's fantastic spending time with my significant other, however I've got to get out and do things for me!
#9. I need someone in a relationship that values family, and has principles and morals. Someone that my family actually LIKES instead of just deals with. I've realized that I don't NEED flowers however I WANT flowers. I want to be told that I am a unique and beautiful person. I need that affirmation.
#10. I need to also SHARE hobbies with my significant other. I actually like being active, going out and doing things and that's what makes me happy.
#11. I LOVE to travel and sing, and I've let my passion for those two die. I need to work on finding what sets me free and go with it!

I'm sure there is so much more that I've learned from everything, however these are the main things for now. I'm working on growing as a person again and finding who I was/am.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Good for you!! Been thinking about you lately, hope you're doing good!
xoxo

lynandsky said...

It is great to see that you are discovering yourself - needs, wants, expectations, etc - I think that to have a healthy relationship you have to first know yourself pretty well. Of course we are always changing, but knowing your foundational self will draw people with those same characteristics towards you - that's why we're friends!! ;)

Jen Jen Stevens said...

Amanda you are amazing! I have ALWAYS thought that and you deserve someone who loves you for who you are as an individual. Been thinking of you. Hope you are ok. Sounds like you are. Love ya girly!